Oshkosh presents rollover protection
Oshkosh presents rollover protection.
Oshkosh Truck Corporation, US leading manufacturer of specialty vehicles, introduced the first side roll protection system for front-discharge concrete mixers on its S-Series model mixer. The system was on display at the Oshkosh booth at the World of Concrete in Las Vegas.
The Side Roll Protection System uses a roll sensor to detect a rollover by monitoring the vehicle`s roll angle and rate, and then triggers safety devices in a pre-programmed sequence. In the event of a vehicle side-roll, the Side Roll Protection System automatically initiates the following actions:
1. Tightens the seat belt to reduce driver motion
2. Lowers the seat to its lowest position to increase survivable space
3. Locks the seat down to eliminate movement
4. Pre-tensions the seat belt to position the driver for contact with the side airbag, and
5. Deploys an inflatable tubular side-curtain airbag that protects and cushions the head and neck and prevents excessive head motion.
The side-curtain airbag activates in a fraction of a second and remains inflated for several seconds – enough time to protect the driver for the duration of the accident. The system was jointly developed by Oshkosh Truck and Lifeguard Technologies, a world leader in commercial truck occupant protection.
The Side Roll Protection System also records crash data before and after a roll event. This helps ready mix producers better understand and address the reasons for a particular accident event.